The family..

My photo
SouthEast, PA, United States
This Blog is all about me and my life as a mom of a beautiful 9 year old and my dear husband who entertains me as much as my girl does.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Christmas Meme

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?

Wrapping Paper all the way - at least at Christmas time. For Birthdays I also go for the quick and recycled gift bag but there is something special about picking out Christmas paper. I also just enjoy wrapping each gift and then adding dressings to make them even nicer. In my own way this is part of the present I give.

2. Real tree or artificial?

Real and only real. The fresh scent of pine, the hunt, the climbing under it to water it every day, and the trail of pine needles left behind, I never want to give up any of that. We also now have the best tree stand ever which makes the tree even easier.

3. When do you put up the tree?

Typically 2 weeks before Christmas, any earlier and we would have to kick it out before New Year's due to the increasing fire hazard.

4. When do you take the tree down?

The first weekend after New Year's.

5. Do you like eggnog?

No Thank you!!

6. Favorite gift received as a child?

I'm not sure if it was a Christmas gift but I was given a ride on horse that was made out of juice cans. The cans were covered in a soft brown fur and there was a rubber horse head on the front of it. I was afraid of lightening and I remember sitting on that horse hugging his head for protection. Kind of humorous considering his body was metal. I loved that poor thing to death, I think eventually his fur fell apart from me dragging it around the house.

7. Do you have a nativity scene?

Absolutely, with many guests to the party made lovingly by my aunt.

8. Hardest person to buy for?

The teenage boys in the family - it seems all they want is money. Well they must be planning on buying something with the money, I wish they would let me know what it is so I could buy it instead of giving them cash.

9. Easiest person to buy for?

My Sweet Pea. Thanks to TV she wants just about everything in any commercial or any sale circular. I also like to buy toys that I find fun so I can play with something I like too.

10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?

I can't think of any...every Christmas gift, even if it ends up in my closet was given to me by someone special and I always appreciate the effort. Have I received bad gifts (or useless ones), of course, but I just joke about it with hubby and forget it. I guess I just haven't been lucky enough yet to receive something so horrible that it is memorable.

11. Mail or email Christmas cards?

Christmas cards need to be mailed - how else can people like me tape them to our doors and windows? Plus this is the only time of year I look forward to a full mailbox.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?

Serious movie - It's a Wonderful Life; Funny Movie - A Christmas Story; Cartoon Show - The Grinch (this is also my cell phone ring tone this time of year)

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?

Typically the first week in December. I do look throughout the year for ideal presents but I use lists in December.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?

Absolutely - I admit it. If I received 2 of the same thing (and I'm not good at returning items to stores anyway), or something I know I just won't use but someone else will love, I will pass it on.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?

Hmmm , toss up between Turkey and Toll house cookies.

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?

Colored - I think they are more festive. White is very pretty but I just feel they are too stark and glaring for me. Also all of the other lights in the house are white year-round, color makes it special for Christmas.

17. Favorite Christmas song?

I can't pick just one...I have too many good memories of a lot of songs. I love to hear the Little Drummer boy and after Sweet Pea's Christmas program the other night I think Mary Did you Know? is especially wonderful.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?

I would love to stay home but we travel close to home. First to MIL for presents and lunch then off to my family for dinner and more presents.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?

Of course, what mother of a 5 year old can't?

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?

Angel. Our angel is currently a fire hazard and we still won't give her up. When we were married we searched numerous stores for a pretty angel with a plesant face. About a month after we bought her I saw she was recalled. Oops - too bad, I'm not giving her back. We've had her 10 years now and not one single fire.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?

Both. We have a tradition of opening gifts from each other in my family on Christmas eve and from "Santa" on Christmas day.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?

It is so depressing after the decorations come down. We need more holidays after Christmas and Valentines day just doesn't count in my book.

23. What I most love about Christmas.

As cliched as it sounds - giving people special things and all the preparation that goes into it. I try every year to surprise someone with something unique and special.

1 comment:

Scott said...

I just gotta say I love my Stand Strait tree stand.
Don't know why I waited so long to get one. We've had it for 4 or 5 years now. It's so easy.
And it holds so much water.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Billie.