Ok -I've also enjoyed the editions of Works for me Wednesday over at T with Honey so I decided to get in on the fun. Now I've always had this issue with sponges, the kind you use at the kitchen sink. We all know that they get immediately full of bacteria and all sorts of unpleasant things but they are still handy to have around and saves numerous rolls of papertowels. What I have done in the past is buy the ones that supposedly deter microbial growth but to no avail they always end up smelling awful within a week or two of use. I have also tried dumping bleach on them but I finally found what works for me with no effort on my part. In order to keep your sponge smelling fresh and clean just put it in the dishwasher on a weekly basis along with your normal dishes (top rack only please). The dishwasher maintains a high temperature and then dries it too. Your sponge comes out looking and smelling brand new. I have found this very effective and I don't go through sponges as quickly since I was always throwing them away just because I felt they were too disgusting to use. Ahh you say you don't have a dishwasher(or you like to do dishes by hand)....well if you have a microwave this will work too. Every few days wet the sponge, put it in the microwave, and zap it on high for 1-2 minutes. This gives you a very hot and germ-free sponge (which can then be used to clean the inside of the microwave or stove top). Add a few drops of dishsoap in your favorite scent and your microwave will smell good too. You don't get the pretty new all clean and dry sponge effect that the dishwasher gives but anything is better then the nasty smelling germ ridden sponge that you were using before to "clean" up with.
Now I will desparately try to think of something else for next Wednesday...hmmm maybe I shouldn't have started this.